Thursday, November 24, 2005

Turkey Day

In NJ again for Thanksgiving. Girlfriend and her parents are in town as well, and we're all sitting around the TV watching the Denver @ Dallas football game. It's near the end of the game, tie score, and the Broncos have the ball on their own 25, 3rd and short, 1:30 left on the clock. Clock is running. Denver runs the clock down to 0:50 before calling a timeout. My dad and I start arguing about Denver's choice (I'll post the argument in a comment). We actually start yelling at each other about the call. He finally agrees that I'm right. I berate him for being dumb.

Anyway, the argument settles down, and he goes to get something from the kitchen. Not satisfied with the level of my censureitude, I stood up and proclaimed, "I'm going to go hit my dad." I promptly left the room and wailed on his shoulder.

(He got me back later though when I ran up to my room to get my cellphone. He was in there with the lights off using the computer, and he scared the bejesus out of me. I think I almost died.)

Everyone enjoyed my shouts of "Dad, you're not making any sense!" "Dad, you're an idiot!" "Dad, what the hell are you thinking?!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So the argument went as follows:

Denver had the ball, 1:30 left on clock in 4th quarter, two timeouts, Dallas has one timeout, ball on their own 25 yard line, 3rd and 2, clock running, game tied at 21. Rather than get to the line immediately and run a play, the Denver players mill around in the huddle.

At this point, my dad erupts: "What the hell are they doing? They're wasting time! They gotta move!" (Note: we're rooting for Denver because Dallas is tied with the Giants in the NFC East). I point out that they're deep in their own territory and it's third down; if they're going to turn over the ball, they want to turn it over with the least amount of time left.

Denver calls a timeout with 1 second left on the play clock and 0:50 on the game clock.

Dad erupts again: "They're never going to win if they don't go for it! They have no heart!" I point out again that, with a tie game, they don't need to score and, with two timeouts, they can afford to run off some time here, deep in their territory.

Denver runs a pass play. The Denver receiver can't quite haul in a 10-yard pass.

Dad gets all agitated, saying now Denver is going to lose. I'm getting agitated now too; dad just isn't getting that Denver's clock management, while debatable, is pretty acceptable. He finally admits that the clock management was ok.

Not really that exciting, which is why it didn't make the post.

Klondike said...

The "backdater" was because I remember thinking that the date of the post indicated you must have backdated it and I was railing against that, but I can't find my evidence for that feeling anymore....strange...............

I'm going to go hit my dad.

Unknown said...

Just to clear up something; when I say I hit my dad, I don't mean I physically abuse him. I usually mean I punch him in the shoulder. He usually hits me back in the shoulder. It's like that movie, 'Just Friends,' where the two brothers beat the crap out of each other.