Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cheddar or Swiss?

Graham, a friend of mine, had an XBox game called "Dead to Rights"; you may have heard of it. It used a checkpoint save system (for you non-gamers, that means the game will automatically save the game as you pass certain parts, or checkpoints, in it).

Well, as happens often, he reached a particularly hard bit of the game. He would walk down an alley, the bad guys would shout at him, and then he'd die. He played this part, oh, I don't know, a bajillion times (bajillion, n.: a large number that is 5.4 more than the largest number you just thought of).

But the strangest bit was what the bad guys would yell. The protagonist was named "Slade", and so the bad guys would yell, "<undecipherable>! It's Slade!" The undeciperable bit was just that: undecipherable. However, after hearing it roughly an infinite number of times, it started to sound like "Cheese it!", making the whole phrase, "Cheese it! It's Slade!"

I'm getting to the point of this story.

You know how social groups add certain words or phrases to their lexicon (I've been informed by Brent that these are called "locutions")? Well, we added "Cheese it! It's Slade" to ours. Now, years later and those friends living in the far off worlds of Long Island and California, I alone in Massachusetts remember this.

So every now and then I have this urge to shout "Cheese it! It's Slade!" This inevitably becomes a problem when I do shout it; some of my best weird looks have come from that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my most favorite post ever.

Anonymous said...

I totally remember it, why you ask? because knuckles and I played that game an entire summer.