Wednesday, March 21, 2007

United Airlines: We Failed Geometry

I have to say I love connecting flights. For example, in my flight to Cincinnati (Sinsinnati?) this past weekend, I had a layover. I didn't expect it to be so far out of the way (red = actual flight, blue = straight line to destination):


I know most of the reasons for crazy detours like this, but as far as I can tell, I flew on a plane for almost twice the time I needed to. Also interesting is that United had a direct flight to Dayton Ohio, but did not offer a puddle-jumper flight to Cincinnati.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, the triangle is a close approximation of a 30-60-90 triangle, so the hypotenuse is roughly 2/sqrt(3), or 1.15, times longer. The triangle in question is more acute, so the ratio is larger, but it probably isn't more than 1.3.

Joe Bodell said...

Two words:

GRAPH THEORY

Unknown said...

Then the weights of their graph edges are screwed up. 'AS THE CROW FLIES' IS ALL YOU EVER NEED. Optimization is an illusion.

Unknown said...

Can a crow fly that far without stopping? Do crows have a midair refueling service?